Friday 13 May 2011

Florence the fifteenth

I was out before 7 o'clock this morning, and achieved my objective.

That was, to photograph Ghiberti's golden baptistery gates without some goon posed in front of them as if they were the one who made them. Of course, they're not as entrancing here as in person, and the top layer of fence isn't there during business hours so they're a little more obscured than they'd otherwise have been, but still. 100% moron free!

The original gates are actually tucked in a museum somewhere and these are copies, but that doesn't make them any less amazing - it's all about context.

And some bonus sunrise action from the Ponte Vecchio.

And now I'm in Rome and ensconced in a hotel room that I don't want to leave, for reasons that I shall elaborate on later.

No comments:

Post a Comment